Monday, March 2, 2009

Turkey Turkey Turkey

I had a great time in Istanbul, Turkey this last weekend!

Aaron, Cecile, Evan and I met at 5:15am to catch the bus and train to the airport. After a 4 hour plane ride (slept the whole time!) and an hour and a half shuttle ride to our hotel, we were exploring the city.

We started by checking out the Blue Mosque or next plan was to go to the Hagia Sophia museum, but it was closed! So instead we had some dinner and drinks at a local pub. Then we retired early (little tired from waking up so early!).

Friday we checked out the Hagia Sophia museum, the Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar. All were lovely!! After this we went back to the hotel for a nap and then checked out a whirling Dervish thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mevlevi). It was kind of lame. There was only one guy twirling. I think we got ripped off! I think there are usually more than one dervish spinning. Ah well, what can you do? After the dervish show we found a hookah bar and had some apple flavored tobacco and some apple tea. It was great! But what was kind of weird was that the hookah/tea place was in a cemetery. Strange! But good!

Saturday was our last day in Istanbul :( Boy the time flew by! Aaron, Evan and I headed to the Grand Bazaar again where I bartered in order to get a purse for 30 lira (started at 80 lira) and a hookah water pipe for 40 lira with some banana tobacco (started at 120 without the tobacco). Gave me some practice for while in Africa and Thailand. Three weeks from today Becker and I will be in Zambia!!! But anyways. While we were at the Bazaar Cecile went to a Turkish bath. She said it was nice but a little violating! Lots of nakedness and massaging. I stayed away! Our last act in Istanbul was to head back to the hookah bar for some strawberry flavored tobacco and some more apple tea. It was a good end to a good trip!!

Now I'm back at work and again counting down the days until I'm done!!! 11 days and 27 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!

Also, mom, dad, sandy, kathy and becker will all be here next week. NEXT WEEK! I can't believe how the time has flown!

No comments:

Post a Comment