Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ireland

For anyone who has never driven on the opposite side of the road, it can be kinda stressfull at first, especially in Ireland where the roads are half the size and where there should be a shoulder the is a jagged rock wall. Luckily we had a little VW Golf. I still thought that was too big at first. I think Sarah thought I was gonna have a mental breakdown I was stressing out so much. (It's true. I offerd him a cookie and I thought he was going to push me out of the car!) When we finally arrived at the Cliffs of Moher I could finally breath, excegpt for the sight was breathtaking. After taking some pics and getting some foreigners to take our picture with the "I shot the minnow" shirts, (Sarah tried to get me to wear the pink one, but I kept my dignity) we hopped back in the car and made our way to our hostel in Doolin. That night we went to a local pub and I finally got a fresh Guiness and some food with flavor. The next morning we headed down to the pier and jumped on a ferry to head to the Aran Islands. The bed and breakfast we stayed at was really nice, though the pillows really sucked. The first day there was bright and sunny so we walked around and sat on the beach for a while. After going through all the little shops we grabbed a couple pints and called it a day. The next morning we woke up and got our authentic Irish breakfast, (the bacon was delicious, the pudding not so much). We were gonna rent bikes and do a little tour of the island but it was pouring rain. Luckily when we were at the grociery store a tour van was there so we hopped in and he took us around to all the hot spots. All the people on bikes looked pretty pissed off so I know we made the right decision.

The Island we stayed on, Inishmore, was the biggest of the three at about 8 miles by 2 miles. Originally the whole island was one big rock, but over the years the Islanders stacked the rock into walls and brought in seaweed and sand which makes dirt. On the island there was over 7,000 miles of stone walls. Needless to say their fields were pretty small. The roads on the island were even smaller than the ones on the mainland, so when we made it back to the car I felt a lot more comfortable driving, which was nice. The people of Ireland where all very nice and friendly, and the land was absolutely beautiful.

We arrived at the Shannon airport a couple hours early so we headed to the bar to grab a burger and a beer. The beer was great, the burger tasted like s**t. Our flight got delayed for a bit, but luckily they had the Simpsons on for a while and Sarah had some good comedians on her Ipod. When we finally arrived at the Gatwick airport I was a little pissed they didn't give me a stamp in my passport.(it looks pretty plain right now) After a hour bus ride and a couple tube rides we finally made it back around 12:30. We were both exhausted.

I'm going to be green now, because Becker gets to be blue, and black looks pretty lame next to blue!

So we slept in until about 11am on Friday. We were both pretty tired after our day of traveling back from Ireland. Around 2pm we headed to the Imperial War Museum. It's an awesome place! Jen Hall - you should be way jealous, it is right up your alley! You should buy a ticket to London just so your geeky social studies teacher self can hangout at the museum for a day, or week!!! It had planes, boats, guns, artillery, and submarines on the main level and then it had exhibits for WWI and WWII. In the WWI area there was a trench experience and in the WWII area there was a Blitzkrieg experience. It was cool! After the musuem we headed to the grocery store because we were both really hungry. At the grocery store we bought a gigantic bag of potatoes (it was on sale!), so Becker will be peeling and cooking potatoes for the rest of his visit! That night we met up with Aaron to see the new Indiana Jone's movie. It was pretty good.

Today we bummed around and then headed over to Aarons around 2:30. He wanted to test out a roast recipe and we offered to be guinea pigs! We brought mashed potatoes! The roast was really good. I think I might let Aaron cook for me more often!! Now we're just bumming around and waiting for the Detroit vs Penguins Stanley cup game to start. It starts at 1am our time. Hopefully we make it through the whole game!

Not really sure what else of London we're going to see. Becker has already seen a lot and it's suppose to rain tomorrow and Monday. The rest of Becker's visit may consist of just bumming around!

No comments:

Post a Comment