Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Royal Visit

So this last weekend at home was a success (maybe too much of a success because I was pretty sad when I got back to work in London).

My flight flew into Minnesota on Thursday night at 5:30pm. I flew during the day and was unable to sleep on the plane ride (watched 3 movies: Batman Begins, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, and Cars). Right from the airport I went to J'Cos to hangout with the Softball ladies. It was a good time. It was great to see them again. Hopefully they're not too upset that I will not be able to play softball again next year! But I'll be there in 2010! Around 11pm it was off to bed for me. I had been up since 7am London time, which is 1am Minnesota time. So I had been up for almost a day and needless to say, I was tired.

Friday was a much needed haircut and then Mom cooked a lovely dinner of roast beef and Mashed Potatoes. Oh and I also had Chipotle for lunch!! Mmm mmm good! I missed food with flavor! Saturday was Amy and Kyle's wedding. It was beautiful! We danced the night away and I was able to see Kari Dykhoff (a CSB hockey player that I hadn't seen in a long time!). The next morning we went to Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. 6 parmesan garlic wings with buffalo chips and cheddar and southwestern ranch sauce! Wonderful! After lunch we headed to Liz and Shadder's for a get together. It was great to see all the cousins and Tom Thumb Brian again! And Liz made some yummy pizzas!

Monday was my last day at home and the only day that I did not have a ton planned. I woke up late (10am, which was pretty good considering I woke up at 4:30am on Saturday morning) and then headed to Arby's for lunch for a scrumptious roast beef and cheddar sandwich and potato cakes!! Then headed to Champps (got a real big and juicy burger!) where I met MJ, Bev, Tim, Marge, Tom, and Kat. Then it was off to the airport.

Talk about a quick and crazy vacation. At least when I come home for Christmas it will be for 2 weeks rather than 4 days!

So now it's back to work. Wednesday (my first day back) was overly busy. I had to fix a bunch of things and get the month end pack ready in a day. I stayed until a little after 6pm, but probably could have stayed 2-3 more hours. There was that much that still needed to be done, but I figured it could all wait until today.

And it could! Everything got finished today and BGC/Cantor Fitzgerald also had it's Charity day event. BGC/Cantor Fitzgerald use to have it's headquarters in New York in one of the twin towers. However, on September 11, 2001 the planes crashed into the buildings and BGC/Cantor Fitzgerald lost all of their New York employees. Now the headquarters are in the building where I am currently working. For the last 4 years, they have had a charity day every September 11th. All of the brokerage made and salaries for the day are given to charity. Apparently last year they raised around $12 million. Hopefully this year we do as well!

What's exciting about charity day is that there are a bunch of celebrities hanging around. Prince Charles, Kevin Spacey, Jerry Hall and Mark Williams (Arthur Weasely from Harry Potter) walked by my office. Some of my co-workers actually got to shake Prince Charles' hand and talk to him. Crazy! Of course most of the celebrities were British so I had to google most of them! I don't know the British Celebrities and Sports Personalities. Should have been in BGC New York, probably would have known more people there!!

Well anyways. Being home was great and now I'm already missing it :( 3 1/2 months until I'll be home for Christmas! And those 3 1/2 months are going to be very busy. I have every weekend but 1 planned! I have classes every other weekend and then I am traveling to Brussels, Munich, and Colmar France. MJ is also coming to visit one of those weekends. So it should go by pretty fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment